Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wedding Bells Are Ringing: Book A

June is one of the most popular months for weddings and weddings as we all know are full of traditions. One of the most commonly followed of those traditions is for the bride to have "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, and Something Blue" on her wedding day. To honor that tradition...

A. OLD - Read an old book (to qualify as an old book it must have been published before you were born).
AND
B. NEW - Read a book written by a new author i.e. a book by an author you haven't read previously.

BORROWED - One of the books above must be borrowed (from the library, from a friend or family member etc.)
BLUE - And the other book must either have a blue cover or the word blue in the title.

(I.E. You need to read an old book that is borrowed and a new book that is blue OR an old book that is blue and a new book that is borrowed.)


Book Title/Author: Somewhere In Time (aka Bid Time Return) by Richard Matheson
Publisher/Year Published: Tor Books 1974
Where I got it: Library
Rating: 3/5 stars

So this book was something old and something borrowed. I wish I could remember why I decided to read this. I feel like it had something to do with Wikipedia and Christopher Reeve. You know one of those moments where you just get lost for hours clicking links and then all of a sudden an hour has past and you've ended up on a page about Ebola.

So I found this book that way. Apparently its also a movie, which I do want to see at one point. When I mentioned to most of the women of my acquaintance who are closer to 40 than 20 they all were like "Oh that movie was great!" so we'll see.

Now the book. Basically its about this guy, Richard, who is leaving his life behind to get away from his family who are treating him as if he will die at any moment. Which apparently he might.

Richard ends up at this hotel and sees a picture of this woman, Elise, whom he is drawn to. He spends most of the beginning of the book finding out as much as he can about her and traveling in time to her.

He does go back in time, and that is the part of the book that I really became interested. It was a good 100 pages before he meets her, and while the beginning was somewhat interesting it just wasn't as interesting as the end. And even that dragged a bit. I enjoyed the time travel aspect quite a bit actually and I like how he thought about things like changing his speech pattern.

Overall, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It was a decent read. I am curious to see how they adapted it to the screen, to see if it engages me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails