Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: A Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore

Book Title/Author: A Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore
Publisher/Year Published: June 2009 by Forever
Where I got it: Borders Blowout
Rating: 2/5 stars

Summary:via Goodreads
Sophie, the Duchess of Calton, has finally moved on. After seven years mourning the loss of her husband, Garrett, at Waterloo, she has married his cousin and heir, Tristan. Sophie gives herself to him body and soul. . . until the day Garrett returns from the Continent, demanding his title, his lands-and his wife.

Now Sophie must choose between her first love and her new love, knowing that no matter what, her choice will destroy one of the men she adores. Will it be Garrett, her childhood sweetheart, whose loss nearly destroyed her once already? Or will it be Tristan, beloved friend turned lover, who supported her through the last, dark years and introduced her to a passion she had never known? As her two husbands battle for her heart, Sophie finds herself immersed in a dangerous game-where the stakes are not only love . . . but life and death.
Wow. A historical romance where the hero is not clear for a very, very long time. How refreshing and interesting. Two dukes, one duchess. What to do?

That fact, its pretty cover, and the dollar price at Borders was why I purchased the book. I was curious as to how it was going to turn out, since it breaks at least one of the "rules" of romance novels: "Who is the hero?" How is she suppose to be faithful to him when she nor I knows who it is?

Many a time reading this novel, which was quite a page turner, I was thinking to myself: "Who should I root for?" Who did I want to win the girl? A problem I often have in reading love triangles is who do I think is right for the heroine. This time it just stressed me out. I kept putting myself in her shoes.

One day my husband, whom I love, dies at war. His best friend and I spend years looking for him to no avail. I start to love said best friend and get married to him. We are happy when husband one comes back demanding his wife.

Seriously this is the most stressful thing ever.

I had empathy for both of them. Neither was the clear loser. I understood where both were coming from in their situations. Sophie though sometimes seemed a little too wishy-washy for someone described as strong. I couldn't help but think she was trying to have her cake and eat it too. I know that the whole situation would be SO confusing, I mean, I was just the READER and I was completely bowled over. But they kept saying she was so proactive, but I just didn't see it. I guess though stress educed emotions can be pretty confusing things and can take you and turn you on your head.

For a historical non erotic labeled romance, there were some "unusual" sex scenes. Nothing to really put me off, but to be honest I was so curious as to the outcome, I skipped a good deal of them.

It was still an okay book. The plot made sense to me but the ending just pissed me off. After all the stress they went through, the things they pulled, the wrap up was like "Somehow I think everything is okay now. We're cool. Even though I literally wanted to kill you an hour ago" What?!

The idea was super interesting. What would you do with two husbands? But the characters were not developed all that well and I didn't care about them as much as I wanted to know the rational for the resolution.

I may try this author again, but right now it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails