Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little (Remix)

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Over at The Broke and the Bookish (where I also review things), we like to do this thing called Top Ten Tuesday. Every week is a theme, everyone gets to create a list.

Today is actually my week over there, so my list is on the main page. So in kind of a twist to the main theme this week, for each book I had that broke my heart (explained over there), I am going to find a book (here) that had the exact opposite effect, hopefully in the same vein as the first book.

Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little (Remix)

1.Gone with the Wind broke my heart, but A Room with a View by E.M. Forster could mend it.
For this, I tried to to something that was comparative. I really liked Gone with the Wind, don't get me wrong, all my list I love, but A Room with a View was just ... fun (if I remember it correctly). It is set in Rome during a time when you needed chaperons. It's actually somewhat of a love triangle which is popular now right?

2. The Golden Compass broke my heart, but The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis could mend it.
I love The Chronicles of Narnia. It too is a fun book, like most of the His Dark Materials series. Though at times The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe can be sad, it doesn't wrench my heart like The Golden Compass.

3. The Lords of Discipline broke my heart, but Little Women by Louisa Mae Alcott could mend it.
I had The Outsiders here at first, but then as I starting thinking about the book, it should be on the REAL list. That book tore a whole in my preteen soul! Little Women also was sad, but the overall emotion I feel about this book is just a great coming of age/sister story. Most of it is happy, and you can't appreciate the happy without the sad.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows broke my heart, but Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban could mend it.
Seriously, I love this series. Azkaban is my favorite (though I have never reread 6 or 7). I really think it is that I just love the marauders and no matter how it ends I still love it :)

5. The Hunger Games broke my heart, but Cinder by Marissa Meyer could mend it.
Yay! YA Dystopian! Hunger Games was a bit more gritty than Cinder, but Cinder's retelling of the fairy tale was wonderful. It took something old as time and made it new and unique. I can't wait for more of the series.

6. The Book Thief broke my heart, but All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein could mend it make it slightly less sad.
Seriously, saying a Holocaust book is "happy" is not what I am going for here. All But My Life is horridly heart breaking in and off itself. But the main thing I remember from my book experience is her perseverance. My Freshman class in high school wrote her a letter and sent her some sweatshirts from our school for her and her husband, so what I remember of her is the picture of them in their matching hoodies saying thank you to us with a smile on her face. That is why it would make it better for me.

7. On The Way to the Wedding broke my heart, but What Happens in London by Julia Quinn could mend it.
Both of these are by Julia Quinn and are overall happy books. I just had a personal reaction to the first one. The second one is light and funny and has a scene I will never stop laughing over.

8. The Time Travelers's Wife broke my heart, but Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen could mend it.
I really loved both of these books. Water for Elephants has some sad moments, but overall I think it was a happy read. It was the perfect read for my beach read one summer. By the way, the movie did not do the book justice.

9. Tuck Everlasting broke my heart, but Everneath by Brodi Ashton could mend it.
I just finished this book, and you may be thinking "How do these really connect?" They are both stories that have the choice between eternal life and, well not. Both a great, and Everneath is slightly touching at times, it still with its mythology related awesomeness could make it better.

10. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie broke my heart, but Three Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa Dare could mend it.
While all of the other books in the Mackenzie brothers series are excellent, as is this book, I tried to tie these together by romance novels that deal with one of the leads having a physical or mental challenge. In this book, it is deafness. While both books show them overcoming the problem despite the odds, Lily embraces her deafness. And of course love concurs all in the end.

Whew! Two complete lists this week was a lot of work!! Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails